+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double Gloxinia

Double Gloxinia

These can be grown from seed, then via leaf/stem cuttings.

I love to start them from seed first, then when I find one that I really like, I will take cuttings.

They bloom very quickly, and they will form a corm which can be allowed to dry out during the winter and revived with water after the last frost.

Gloxinia are truly FUN plants that take very little space.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I planted some seeds today. We will see how well they grow.

I vaguely remember the first time I grew them and how shocked I was when those tiny seeds actually grew into beautiful blooming plants in such a short time.

I have also harvested seeds, but I never tried to grow them. Space and time was an issure, but I should really try my hand at hybridizing them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    I'm going to keep my open for some of these to try. If they grow and bloom quickly from seed, I could grow them here as annuals.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

This Gloxinia isn't meant to be grown as a bedding plant, but they are wonderful potted plants. They also form a tuber, which, if properly crured and cared for after the plant goes dormant, will come back into growth after a short rest. They are very closely related to African Violets.

Ann,

Obviously I have grown the florist's Gloxinia in the past, mostly the single forms, but a few of the doubles. This was years ago when I had more room and fewer plants! Also tried the Slipper form and found them to be very nice too! These Shinningia (spl?)hybrids are a lot of fun to grow, from seed or from tubers and are as easy to propagate from a leaf cutting as an African Violet is. With the Gloxinia leaf cuttings you get tiny new tubers that eventually grow into plants. I always split the stems so I could get two new tubers from each leaf cutting.

Might have to grow these again someday.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Vicki,

The problem with growing them as an annual for outdoors is that the leaves with spot and have problems when there is too much rain on them. I have had them outside under the old pecan trees in the spring, and they did okay. I didn't have any problems with the leaves, but I think I was lucky. I had so many of them because I grew them from seed.

They were in pots, though and not in the ground.

Now that I have the little covered porch area, I can grow them without worrying about too much rain, BUT I will have to worry about keeping them watered..

They are quite fun to watch grow because they grow from such a tiny seed to blooming size within a 6 months.

I bought the doubled seeds from Parks, just like I did many years ago when I first tried them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Check This OUT!!!

Gloxinia production, an interesting article...

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/landscape/Gloxinia.htm
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whoopie!

I see a few teeny, tiny sets of leaves starting to grow!

I may try to take a picture in a bit, but I have to tell you that the set of leaves are as small or smaller than the head of a straight pin, the old fashioned metal kind. I don't know if I can figure out how to get my camera to focus on something that small.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I tried...

The camera will not focus on something that tiny, and I do mean TINY!

Sorry, we will have to wait until they get bigger. More should start popping up soon.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread